Pan Africa Christian University (PACU) Deputy Vice Chancellor – Academic Jobs in Nairobi Kenya 2012
Pan Africa Christian University (PACU) is a Christian institution of higher learning in existence since 1978.
It is situated along Lumumba Drive, off Kamiti Road, off Thika Super highway in Roysambu.
The Mission of the University is to develop godly Christian leaders for the church and the society.
PACU which received a charter from the Government of Kenya on 15th February 2008 is seeking to fill the following position:
Deputy Vice Chancellor – Academic
Reporting to the Vice Chancellor, the DVC (Academic) will be responsible for the academic affairs of the University and support the Vice Chancellor in the administration of the University, direct oversight of the faculty, research, educational resources, curricula and quality of programs.
Overall Job Summary
Provide leadership, guidance, planning, and coordination for quality and delivery of the university’s undergraduate and postgraduate teaching programs, and articulate fully the integrated approach to transformative leadership.
This includes regular reviews of the university’s policies and procedures to ensure excellence in teaching, examinations, research, academic records, and certification.
1. Governance and Leadership
- Provide leadership, guidance, direction and supervision to students, faculty and staff.
- Participate in the development and implementation of the University policies, procedures and, guidelines that create a framework for academic excellence
- Ensure adherence to the University’s policies and procedures as outlined in relevant policies and procedures manuals; accounting standards; and statutory requirement.
- Provide able leadership as Chairperson of the following Senate Committees: Admissions, External Examination, Library, Student Disciplinary and Awards Committee.
- Member of the Management Board, Academic Committee, and Personnel Committee.
2. Strategic Management
- Contribute to the development and implementation of corporate strategic plan and the operational plans for academic programs and activities.
- Spearhead the development and implementation of strategic initiatives to improve the quality of academic programs in the University.
- Authorize and present the budget for the Faculty and approve the acquisition of learning resources including textbooks, journals, library books and materials based on the budget
- Take responsibility for all aspects of the planning, development and quality control of the teaching and research programs, extension studies and affiliated colleges.
3. Management and Development of Academic Programs
- Promote a learning environment that is supportive of the University mission and vision through student-centered services.
- Oversee the work of faculty by giving leadership in the organization and delivery of the curriculum and ensuring compliance with accreditation standards.
- Ensure availability of sufficient high quality learning resources and library materials for reference by both faculty and students.
- Facilitate the development, review, and revision of academic curricula, quality and relevance as well as seeking approval from the Commission for Higher Education (CHE) for new programs and courses.
- Undertake periodic evaluation of examinations and courses offered by the University.
- Ensure research and scholarly publishing by faculty and students are well integrated in academic programs
- Ensure the University maintains effective mechanisms for quality assurance on academic programs.
- Ensure, in liaison with the Registrar, the counseling and support for students experiencing problems of an academic nature
- Be secretary to the Senate
- As chairperson of various Senate Committees, take responsibility for the implementation of the decisions of the Senate
- Teach at least one course each term subject to administrative workload demands
4. Human Resource Management and Development
- Promote the professional development of faculty and staff.
- Participate in and oversee the selection, hiring, performance evaluation and other humanresource decisions associated with faculty and staff.
- Ensure continuous development of a motivated and committed faculty and staff.
- Manage relations of faculty and staff proactively to ensure the University maintains high standards in academic programs.
- Ensure proactive and timely communication to faculty and staff.
5. Relationship Management, Networking and Collaboration
- Represents PACU in various forums and maintain links with affiliate colleges
- Develop and maintain effective internal and external relationships which facilitate accomplishment of the University’s academic goals and objectives.
- Maintain and develop external links with a range of local, regional, national and international academic institutions and other organizations for a range of academic purposes.
6. Undertake any other responsibilities that may be assigned by the Vice Chancellor, Management
Board and the Council.
Board and the Council.
Qualifications and Experience
The candidate should posses the following qualifications and experience:
- A Doctorate of Philosophy degree.
- A minimum of 5 years experience in academic affairs at Departmental Head level
- Strong leadership skills that promote dedication, growth and academic excellence
- Excellent ability to build strong working relationships.
- Effective Interpersonal skills and communication skills
- Proven problem solving and organization skills
- A strong research and publications record
- Ability to work independently; flexible and calm under pressure.
- Understand and adhere to the PACU Statement of Faith
- A born again Christian who is active in his / her local church
If you believe you are the suitable candidate for the above positions, kindly email your application letter and a detailed Curriculum Vitae to email@example.com not later than 5th September 2012.
Only short – listed candidates will be contacted.