ACDI / VOCA Livestock Productivity Specialist / Regional Manager Jobs in Garissa Kenya 2012
For over 45 years and in 146 countries, ACDI/VOCA has empowered people in developing and transitional nations to succeed in the global economy.
Based in Washington, D.C., ACDI/VOCA is a nonprofit international development organization that delivers technical and management assistance in agribusiness, financial services, enterprise development, community development and food security in order to promote broad-based economic growth and vibrant civil society.
ACDI/VOCA currently has approximately 97 projects in 38 countries and revenues of over $140 million.
Livestock Productivity Specialist /Regional Manager
We are currently seeking a Livestock Productivity Specialist/Regional Manager for the Resilience and Economic Growth in the Arid Lands-Accelerated Growth (REGAL-AG) project, funded by USAID.
This project will identify, integrate and sustain humanitarian investments that prove to be effective in sustainably increasing resilience and reducing the need for recurrent humanitarian assistance, and to build on these investments to accelerate sustainable economic growth. The goal of REGAL-AG is to foster an inclusive livestock value chain that increases pastoralists’ resilience and stimulates economic growth in several Kenyan counties and beyond.
- Oversee the technical quality of livestock development activitiesincluding improved livestock productivity, animal nutrition, animal health, breeding, and livestock marketing in Garissa.
- Support general programmatic components of improving livestock productivity and expanding existing/developing new input and service markets.
- Work with Deputy Chief of Party and Livestock Advisor to develop and implement value chain facilitation interventions that increase livestock productivity by increasing access to animal feed in all seasons, improving access and affordability of feed and improving herd health/management.
- Play a lead role in interacting with key implementing actors and other development partners in Garissa. Coordinate with the Deputy Chief of Party and Livestock Advisor on a regular basis to participate in and coordinate regular planning processes; discuss field activities, successes, and potential issues and risks; and contribute to knowledge management.
- Ensure implementation of the Gender Integration Strategy and Work Planso that gender considerations can be meaningfully and efficiently integrated throughout all of REGAL-AG activities and operations in Garissa.
- Collaborate closely with the REGAL-IR project in Garissa to improve community based rangeland management.
- Ensure REGAL-AG activities in Garissa comply with environmental recommendations and appropriate environmental compliance status reporting.
- Ensure quality control and timeliness of all deliverables.
- Prepare and contribute to work plans, financial, logistical and other documents as requested to facilitate the successful, responsive implementation of the program.
- Support the overall knowledge management process, contributing to quarterly reports and the M&E process.
- Emphasize and facilitate the development of a robust learning culture within the REGAL-AG team in Garissa.
Under the guidance and supervision of the DCOP/Livestock specialist
- Provide leadership in identifying livestock-related household economic strengthening activities for vulnerable households in the county.
- Maintain strong relationships with groups, associations and government partners supporting various actors in the livestock value chain.
- Work with target actors to provide opportunities to participate in entrepreneurial/innovations/capacity building or training, as well as other market-based opportunities by linking with REGAL–AG and other USAID programs and implementers conducting economic, livestock and nutrition development programs.
- Maintain regular constructive communication with all project subcontractors
- Develop project collaboration with the public authorities in the District of Garissa and particularly with the Ministries of Livestock Development, Agriculture and the Provincial Administration.
- Promote the project in Garissa and seek leverage with other projects, donors, and investors.
- Regularly visit project sites as well as the subcontractor offices in locations slated for intervention.
- Ensure that appropriate security procedures and roles are followed by the project staff and any other assignments or tasks at the request of his/her supervisor.
- Minimum of 5 years of practical experience in livestock development, including livestock marketing and processing.
- Minimum of bachelor’s degree in animal science, range management, livestock marketing, dairy/meat processing, agribusiness management, International relations, development studies, pastoral livestock systems or related field.
- Strong oral and written communication skills is required
- Good problem solver, self-starter, creative and innovative, good communication, leadership and reporting skills required.
To be considered for this recruitment, please e-mail your resume to REGALAG@joinav.org.
Please include the position title in the subject line. No phone calls please.
Only finalists contacted.
Women and minorities encouraged to apply.
Please apply by close of business, August 30, 2012.