Adeso Logistics and Security Officers Jobs in Isiolo, Wajir and Turkana Kenya 2012
Organization: Adeso, African Development Solutions
Position Title: Logistics and Security Officer (3 Positions)
Reporting to: Program Manager
Working with: REGAL program
Program / Duty station: Isiolo, Wajir and Turkana
Duration: One year with possible extension
Duration: One year with possible extension
Starting date: Immediate
Adeso, formerly known as Horn Relief, is an expanding and vibrant African based international development and humanitarian organization.
At Adeso, we work with African communities who are yet to realize their full potential; working inside these communities to create environments in which Africans can thrive. Our belief that economic, social and environmental security is the bedrock of a healthy community drives the nature and intent of our programming.
We work to prevent and overcome situations that adversely affect community well-being by: reinvigorating the economy, developing skills for life and work, providing humanitarian aid, and influencing policy.
For the past 20 years we have strengthened rural livelihoods through environmental awareness, training, technology transfer and innovative humanitarian projects in pursuit of a peaceful, self-reliant, and greener future. Currently, Adeso has programs in Somalia, Kenya and South Sudan. Our current donor portfolio includes the European Commission, USAID, SIDA, CIDA, UNICEF, and the Government of Netherlands, among others.
Adeso is an exciting and dynamic organization experiencing managed rapid growth. It offers sound employment conditions with opportunities for personal growth and development.
This position is for overall logistic and security management of Adeso’s work in Wajir,Isiolo and Turkana under the USAID funded project, Resilience and Economic Growth in the Aid Lands-Improving Resilience Project in Kenya REGAL).
Specific Roles and Responsibilities
1. Logistics Management
- Ensure correct procedures are followed for receipt, storage and dispatch of goods.
- Ensure that all program staff have appropriate logistics request forms and are aware of relevant logistics systems.
- Manage all logistics staff (assistant logistician, drivers, store keeper, radio operator, office boy, mechanic, guards) and conduct regular meetings to ensure good co-ordination and that staff have the tools necessary to carry out their work.
- Hire suitable applicants for logistics staff positions as required, in consultation with Program Manager/Field Coordinator and Adeso Regional Logistics Manager.
- Hire and organise casual staff as required, agreeing in advance on payment according to the market rates.
- Complete monthly logistics report and submit to Program Manager and Regional Logistics Manager.
- Responsible for the upkeep, repair and general mechanical safety of each vehicle.
- Manage the drivers and ensure they carry out their duties. Ensure each vehicle has designated driver.
- Manage mechanics and mechanical issues.
- Ensure that each vehicle is serviced at 3500KM while keeping accurate and up-to-date records of repairs (including parts replaced) and servicing.
- Ensure that the service sticker is fit in cab to remind drivers of next service due.
- Ensure each vehicle has a functional first aid kit, fire extinguisher, jack, wheel-brace and spare wheel at all times.
- Purchase quality and competitively priced spare parts.
- Maintain an accurate stock take of tools, spare parts and equipment according to Adeso guidelines.
- Ensure that the generator is in good working condition and regularly serviced. Complete a monthly report on fuel consumed, hours run and any maintenance carried out.
- Co-ordinate all transport for departments and ensure that security measures are strictly observed. Maintain a vehicle movement board.
- Maintain stock of fuel for generators and vehicles to provide reserve when fuel is scarce. Ensure fuel stock is physically secure, does not represent a fire hazard and that strict stock control is observed through use of fuel issuing records. Ensure fuel stock is rotated.
- Complete a monthly fuel report of fuel and oil consumed, distances travelled by vehicles and an accurate figure for fuel consumption for the vehicles according to Adeso guidelines
- Ensure regular radio checks with vehicles, field sites and with Northern Kenya are carried out and correct radio protocols are observed.
- Ensure all vehicles travelling have at least one means of communication, whether CODAN radio (HF), VHF radio or Thuraya.
- Manage the radio operator.
- Keep register of all communications equipment.
4. Inventory & Storekeeping
- Ensure all goods received are checked against a delivery docket and that a signed copy is returned to the respective offices in Northern Kenya, listing any items damaged or missing.
- Ensure Adeso Goods-In docket is completed for all goods received and that stock cards are updated for all items to be stored.
- Manage all stores/warehouse ensuring that strict stock control is maintained, store is physically secure, clean, in good conditions and appropriate for materials being stored.
- Manage storekeeper, monitoring his/her performance through regular spot-checks on recorded stock and accuracy of stock records. Complete a monthly stock report for submission to the Program manager
- Ensure Fixed Asset Register is kept up-to-date and submitted to Country Head Office as required.
- Ensure local inventory records are maintained of all Adeso assets, including communications equipment, IT equipment, office and living area furniture and equipment.
5. Facilities Management
- Responsible for the security of the compound.
- Manage guards and ensure they fulfil their duties.
- Ensure compound is kept in a good state is tidy and meets the basic requirements for staff comfort.
- Local purchasing: manage logistics float cash, ensuring receipts are retained and returned to finance for small purchases; for any procurement over $1250 ensure 3 quotations are obtained and that the Program Manager’s written authorization is recorded; maintain updated list of local suppliers and prices.
- Maintain the correct level of stocks necessary for running of program.
- In case goods cannot be procured locally or are extremely expensive prepare orders to country head office with the correct coding from Finance and authorization from the Program Manager and to be sent to respective office in Northern Kenya. Stay in regular contact with logistics to monitor all requests made.
- Ensure all purchases are backed-up with the correct paperwork according to Adeso logistics and finance requirements.
- Co-operate with all members of the Adeso team and develop a good working relationship with all staff.
- Carry out duties responsibly and act in a professional manner at all times, especially when managing staff.
- Keep the Program manager aware of any difficulties or problems encountered.
- Carry out any other duties as assigned by the Program Manager
- Carry out daily supervision of guards at storerooms and the office ensuring that there is always a guard on duty.
- To prepare, in cooperation with the head guard, a guard roster.
- To provide Logistics Manager with a regular update on the security situation when required.
- To provide the Country Director with regular updates on the security situations – mandatory.
- Keep abreast of the security situation in Northern Kenya field offices
- Represent Adeso in NGO security meetings
- Provide security briefing to Adeso staff on arrival to the Northern Kenya field office.
9. Stock control
- Maintain a record of stock in Adeso stores (includes GRN, DN, SR, internal requisitions and stock cards).
- Carry out weekly, monthly and quarterly stock checks and share reports with Adeso Regional Logistics Manager.
- Prepare stock movement reports weekly and monthly.
- Ensure that Adeso stocks are properly stacked, registered and the storerooms are clean at all times.
- Undertake any other duties that may be requested by the Regional Logistics Manager.
- Liaise with Regional Logs Manager and Regional ICT Manager with regard to system requirements and operability
Skills and Qualifications
- Previous work experience with an NGO is highly desirable
- Knowledge of supply chain Management – advance or higher diploma or degree in purchase and supply is mandatory
- Computer literate – Word and Excel
- Good spoken and written English
- Good personal recommendations.
- Knowledge of local dialect is mandatory
This is a challenging opportunity for a dedicated and highly motivated professional.
If you would like to join this dynamic team and be part of building resilience and economic growth in Africa, please submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the position location in the email subject matter, by 31st October 2012
Each application should be addressed to the Human Resources Manager and include the following:
- An updated CV; and
- An application letter which should include remuneration requirements and contact information for three work-related referees.
Applications not including all of the above information will not be reviewed.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Adeso is an equal opportunity employer