Plan International-Safe Medical Male Circumcision Officer-Jobs In Uganda 2012
Founded 75 years ago, Plan International is one of the oldest and largest children’s development organizations in the world. We work in 49 developing countries across Africa, Asia and the Americas to promote child rights and lift millions of children out of poverty. Plan’s vision is of a world in which all children realize their full potential in societies that respect people’s rights and dignity. Plan is independent, with no religious, political or governmental affiliations.
Plan International Inc. in Uganda was awarded a 5-year Cooperative Agreement under the Northern Uganda-Health Integration to Enhance Services (NU-HITES) project to continue providing technical assistance and capacity building support for Northern Uganda in Malaria, AIDS and Tuberculosis, integrate additional support in Maternal, Neonatal and Child Health (MNCH), Family Planning (FP) and nutrition; while prioritizing the strengthening of district-level health facilities.
Plan Uganda is an equal opportunity employer and would like to recruit competent persons to fill the following vacant positions under the NU-HITES project:
Plan Uganda would therefore like to recruit the following positions for the NU-HITES project:
Reporting to the TB/HIV Technical Advisor, the successful candidate will be a member of the health service delivery team, responsible for the safe male medical circumcision program in the fifteen project supported districts in Northern Uganda. This SMMC Officer will serve to provide technical support for achievement of project outcomes related to promoting prevention of HIV through safe medical male circumcision. S/he will have frequent travels to districts through out the Northern Region of Uganda.
Dimensions of Role:
• Member of the Health Service Delivery Team of the NU-HITES project reporting to the TB/HIV Technical Advisor.
• Supports the TB/HIV Technical Advisor in designing, implementation and monitoring of Safe Medical Male Circumcision for HIV prevention in line with MoH and international policy guidelines.
• Under the guidance of the TB/HIV Technical Advisor, participate in designing, implementation and monitoring the SMMC activities in line with MoH strategies
• Coordinate SMMC activities, including capacity building for clinical teams in SMMC.
• Work hand in hand with the Logistics Coordinators to ensure consistent availability of SMMC commodities to SMMC service sites.
• Coordinate the periodic technical support supervision and quality assurance of SMMC activities for all SMMC service facilities.
• Contributes to NU-HITES periodic reports by consolidating district SMMC coverage reports to feed into the overall project reports.
• Participates in periodic technical review and planning meetings with project stakeholders for the NU-HITES project, especially in regard to HIV prevention, care and treatment programs
• A degree in Medicine with training in HIV prevention, care and treatment, and specifically SMMC.
• A master’s degree in Public Health or other clinical disciplines will be of added advantage.
• At least 3 years of professional experience working in HIV/AIDS prevention, care & treatment programs, and especially implementation of SMMC.
• Comprehensive knowledge of the policy framework on HIV/AIDS prevention, care and treatment.
• Experience of working in post-conflict settings with hands-on knowledge and skills in designing, planning, implementing and monitoring of facility and community-based HIV prevention, care and treatment programs, especially SMMC.
• Practical experience in working with district and community health systems.
• Experience in HIV capacity building for health facility and community health delivery teams.
Skills and Behaviours required:
• Demonstrated strong organizational, administrative, communications and reporting skills.
• Strong teamwork and team-building skills.
• Experience in developing training curricula, materials and in delivering training to programs preferred.
• Strong English skills required, including ability to write lucid technical reports and documents.
• Demonstrated computer skills, including knowledge of Windows, Microsoft Word, Excel and Power Point.
• Willingness to be flexible and adapt to changing priorities and shifting deadlines.
• Ability to work in a multidisciplinary team and in multicultural settings.
• Ability to work under pressure and under minimal supervision.
While we thank all applicants for your interest, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. Any form of lobbying will lead to automatic disqualification.
People Performance Group
Plot 8 Kitante Close, Kitante
P.O. Box 12405, Kampala
As a child centered development organization, Plan strives to ensure that children are kept safe in all the areas we operate. The organization further has a child protection policy that every staff is required to sign. Potential candidates will be required to provide information confirming whether or not they have ever been convicted of any child abuse crimes.