Documentary and Future Programme Officer vacancy at Culture and Development East Africa-Jobs in Dar es Salaam Tanzania 2012
Job Title:Programme Officer: Documentary and Future
Culture and Development East Africa -CDEA
Phone: +255 22 278 0087
Area: Dar Es Salaam
Application Deadline: Nov 30, 2012
Start Date: Jan 02, 2013
Culture and Development East Africa (CDEA) is a new organization that was incorporated in October 2011 and has an office in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. We aim to support civil society organizations to make the connection between Culture and Development. Our conception of culture and development in contrast with the way in which culture has often been analyzed as only a means to development, defines culture as a way of life with values and norms rather than just material achievements of intellectual and artistic creativity. We define development as the expansion of choices not just growth of material production. Therefore, we see culture as the purpose of development and not just a facilitator or an impediment to economic growth. CDEA has three programmes namely: Culture and Governance; Documentary and Future; and, Institutional Strengthening.
An East African Community where cultural values and norms form the social basis, context and purpose for development.
We exist to mobilize and support civil society in East Africa to participate in evidence-based policy advocacy to place culture at the centre of human development.
CDEA’s Core Values
· Respect for the diversity of cultural expressions
· Professional excellence, innovation, sustainability
· Integrity, credibility, transparency and accountability;
· Empowerment, justice, equality and democracy
CDEA seeks a qualified, energetic and capable Tanzanian or an international citizen who has the legal status to volunteer or work and live in Tanzania to serve as a VOLUNTEER Programme Officer, Documentary and Future Programme.TheDocumentary and Future Programme aims to enhance the link between our cultural heritage and modern culture. The programme aims to take advantage of technology to document places of memory in mainland Tanzania linked to our cultural heritage, to use CDEA website and social networking media to moderate online discussions linked to the implementation of the 2005 UNESCO Convention in East Africa, as well as nurturing budding creative writers in Tanzania.
Job Specification for the Programme Officer:
Website and Social Networking
1. Participate in preparing and uploading CDEA’s weekly blogs and moderating feedback.
2. Moderate learning and networking of 4 Arts Federations being supported by CDEA’s Culture and Governance Programme through internet-based networking and collaborative technologies, linked to CDEA website.
3. Produce a bilingual (English/Kiswahili) on-line resource newsletter on Arts and Culture for Civil Society Organizations in Tanzania and link with various cultural websites in Tanzania for posting.
4. Manage CDEA Facebook and Twitter accounts.
1. Map ongoing initiatives for creative writers in Tanzania, challenges, opportunities and potential partnerships.
2. Collaborate with the National Museum and House of Culture to develop research concepts for mapping intangible heritage for ‘Places of Memory’ Film project.
Networking and Advocacy
1. Write stories on events of the Culture and Governance Programme with the Observatory of Cultural Policies in Africa (OCPA).
2. Build relationships with cultural reports in media in Tanzania and in the East African region working in traditional and new media.
Proposal Development Resource Mobilization
1. Participate in conceptualizing ideas of CDEA ‘Places of Memory’ Film project.
2. Participate in conceptualizing ideas of CDEA Budding Writers project.
3. Identify resource mobilization opportunities and shares information with the Executive Director and CDEA Board of Directors.
Qualifications and Skills:
· BA degree in Communications/journalism. Project Management training is an added advantage
· Interest in African arts and culture
· Strong writing and communication skills
· Two years experience of design and format of documents for web-use, advanced knowledge of WordPress and Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator an asset)
· High degree of computer literacy including Microsoft Office programmes
· Good understanding of all social media and networks
· Ability to work to deadlines and on own initiative
· Enthusiasm and strong interpersonal skills
· Proficiency in English and Kiswahili
How to apply;
If you have these qualifications and are interested in this position, please send you application and see CV by email to Secretariat@cdea.or.tz copied to Cdea.Tanzania@yahoo.com before November 30th 2012, addressed to:
CDEA-Culture and Development East Africa
P.O. Box 13355,
Dar es Salaam,