FANIKISHA Civil Society Organisations Coalition Building Consultant Latest Jobs in Kenya 2012
Civil Society Organisations Coalition Building Call for Consultant
1.0 Background Information
The FANIKISHA Institutional Strengthening Project is a five-year cooperative agreement (2011-2016), funded by USAID/Kenya and implemented by Management Sciences for Health (MSH), Pact Inc., Danya International, and Regional AIDS Training Network (RATN).
Over the years, Kenyan Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) have played a prominent role in delivering health services to the marginalized, poor and underserved populations in the country.
FANIKISHA is strengthening the capacity of national-level CSOs to ensure and sustain their contribution to improving the health and well-being of Kenyans.
Strengthened CSOs will in turn work to increase the capacity of their affiliates to deliver on the community health response.
Advocacy is one critical area that can significantly bring about the desired outcomes in the health sector.
Unfortunately CSOs in the health sector sometimes lack a common voice resulting in disjointed advocacy initiatives. FANIKISHA is working with 10 Kenyan national CSOs and their affiliates to strengthen their advocacy, networking and alliance building capacity.
Other areas for institutional strengthening include financial acuity, human resources, management systems and governance.
It is envisaged that the institutional strengthening will enable CSOs to play a more strategic role in working with the Government of Kenya and other stakeholders to deliver effective health services at the community level.
2.0 Consultancy Objective
Increased leadership in advocacy for an expanded role for CSOs in community health policy articulation and implementation is a key result area for the FANIKISHA Project.
The project has in place an advocacy strategy which is currently being rolled out.
A key strategic objective of the FANIKISHA strategy focuses on strengthening networking and alliance building.
The objective of this call is to identify a consultant who will strengthen the capacity of FANIKISHA supported CSOs, their affiliates and strategic stakeholders in coalition building.
3.0 Key Tasks
The consultant will be required to:
- Mentor 10 FANIKISHA supported CSOs in coalition building. The mentoring will be onsite and offsite
- Support CSOs in establishing and or strengthening CSO coalitions at national and County levels
- Link CSOs to strategic advocacy coalitions
- Promote CSO learning and sharing forums
- Document advocacy and coalition building experiences including key learnings
- CSO coalitions actively engaged in the community health response at national and participating counties.
- CSO learning and exchange forums
- Reports – Monthly or quarterly? On Monthly progress reports against agreed upon milestones
The consultancy shall take a maximum of 40 days spread within November 2012 to June 2013.
6.0 Consultant Qualifications
The consultant should possess the following qualifications:
- Knowledge of Kenya’s historical and current health landscape.
- Experience in engaging with the Kenya Government and key stakeholders at policy and programme implementation levels.
- Experience in engaging in advocacy work
- Experience in CSO coalition building
- Good communication and writing skills
- At least 8 years of relevant work experience.
7.0 Management of the consultancy
The FANIKISHA Advocacy Advisor will be the lead Technical contact person for this consultancy. FANIKISHA will provide the necessary logistical support such as transportation, accommodation, funds for meetings required to deliver on the outlined tasks.
Communication and internet facilities will be provided in situations where the consultant is working from the FANIKISHA or Pact offices.
The consultant should be willing to respond to CSOs needs on short notice.
8.0 Proposal Submission & Reviews
The submission should include both the technical and financial proposal.
The technical proposal should include among others: the consultant’s interpretation of the scope of work, ideas on CSO coalition building in Kenya, approaches the consultant will use in strengthening health sector CSO coalitions and the curriculum vitae of the lead consultant.
Submit applications to the attention of Pact HR Office in Kenya via the following email address: email@example.com clearly indicating in the subject field the consultancy they are applying for.
All applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until suitable candidates are identified and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Pact is a fair and equal opportunity employer.