Save the Children Head of Education Sector Jobs in Hargeisa, Somalia / Somaliland Jan 2013
For over 90 years, Save the Children has been making a difference in children’s lives in more than 120 countries. We are the world’s largest independent child rights organization.
Technical Support Team
Level 3 – the responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people
Dimensions: Save the Children works in [four] regions in [Somalia/Somaliland] with a current staff complement of approximately  staff and current expenditure of approximately [US$60] million each year.
Staff directly reporting to this post: 2-4
Key Areas of Accountability:
- Lead on development of thematic strategy in education including basic/primary/ secondary education, teachers education and training and skills training and employment in line with Save the Children’s Country Strategic Plan for Somalia/Somaliland programme
- Lead in developing and realising ambitious yet practical education plans as part of the Country Annual Plans
- Work together with quality programmes and operations teams to initiate and design high quality, cost-effective, innovative and sustainable project proposals and concept notes for the sector
- Proactively seek information on potential donor sources and share project opportunities in education with quality programmes and operations teams linking to Country and Area strategies in education
- Seek strategic linkage, wherever applicable, with other thematic areas of Somalia/Somaliland programme i.e. child protection, child rights governance, health & nutrition, DRR and Food security & livelihoods for developing integrated programmes for difficult to reach children in Somalia/Somaliland
- Lead the development and implementation of relevant and sustainable capacity building strategy for area teams and partners including consortium partners on education in coordination with the operations team
- Provide technical guidance and inputs where relevant to the operations and quality programme teams and consortium partners and do technical review of donor reports to ensure that the reports are of high quality from a technical point of view as per expectations in the project proposals
- Assist the quality programmes team to enhance the capacity of operations teams (e.g. programme/project managers) in developing appropriate systems for documenting and storing relevant information/data needed for donor and member reporting.
- Provide elaborations and as required directions and trainings to managers in operations teams involved in delivering projects focusing on appropriate approaches and methodologies; conceptual and practical frameworks; standards and tools for effective and quality delivery of education programmes.
- Represent Somalia/Somaliland programme in relevant internal and external fora including donor meetings (as appropriate) related to education
- Work closely with quality programmes and operations teams to develop policy research and advocacy strategy in education in line with the Country Strategic Plan and global strategy of Save the Children
- Leverage donor interest and government policies for the difficult to reach children in Somalia/Somaliland both in emergency and development situations through targeted advocacy/key messages
- Identify and capitalise key opportunities and events for Save the Children to position itself as the leading organisation for children’s education issues in Somalia and Somaliland
- Work with consortium members wherever applicable to further Save the Children’s mission for children
- Ensure that all technical staff in education understand and are able to adapt their roles in both emergency and development contexts
- Manage the education team; define expectations, provide leadership and support as needed, and evaluate direct reports regularly
- Ensure the recruitment, training, and promotion of staff as appropriate; ensure availability of and support appropriate professional development opportunities for staff in education
- Incorporate staff development strategies and Performance Management Systems into team building process.
- Oversee that all Education staff proactively build and maintain technical skills and competencies required for leading and/or inputting for first class programmes – both development and emergency nature
- Manage the performance of all direct reports in Education through: effective use of the Performance Management System including the establishment of clear, measureable objectives, ongoing feedback, periodic reviews and fair and unbiased evaluations; coaching, mentoring and other developmental opportunities; recognition and rewards for outstanding performance; documentation of performance that is less than satisfactory, with appropriate performance improvement workplans
- Support the development of an organisational culture that reflects our dual mandate values, promotes accountability and high performance, encourages a team culture of learning, creativity and innovation, and frees up our people to deliver outstanding results for children and excellent customer service for our members and donors.
- Assist quality programmes team to ensure that all education projects and components have robust monitoring plans, baselines, reviews and evaluations in line with project designs and donor guidelines
- Technically assist quality programmes team in measuring achievement and progress towards program goals and results through the M&E system
- Lead and work closely with quality programmes team to identify and lead strategic ground breaking research in education for development of innovative programmes and issue-based advocacy
- Facilitate appropriate dissemination of research findings and good practices documentations in the projects internally and externally to donors, governments, consortium partners and other key actors strategic for immediate and sustainable development of children in Somalia/Somaliland
- Serve as a technical knowledge, skills and experience hub for the sector in Somalia/Somaliland and in doing so play a leading role in introducing innovations in education programmes (gained from existing and emerging Save the Children’s global knowledge and practices) and in turn documenting and sharing best practices and innovations for replication and advocacy together with programme quality team.
- Work with technical resources among Save the Children members to facilitate sharing and learning in education good practices and leverage their support for strengthening education studies, assessments, innovations, advocacy and capacity building in favour of children in Somalia/Somaliland
- Manage technical budgets in education efficiently and in line with donor guidelines and project plans as appropriate and as delegated
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency
- Post-graduate degree in education or a related field with additional training in education planning and management and project planning and management techniques
- Knowledge of current global and regional debates on quality and employment oriented education policies and models
- Recommended a minimum of eight years of relevant technical experience including at senior level
- Proven experience of developing and managing high quality, innovative and cost-effective technical education projects in fragile and insecure environments, preferably in Somalia context and with International NGOs
- Proven experience and skills in research and advocacy and influencing institutional, private and/or corporate donors and writing up high quality donor reports
- Experience of working with local/national governments and capacity building of systems, partners and staff
- Ability to extensively travel for project monitoring and provide on-site technical support to field teams
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching
- Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international and matrix management environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Strong results orientation, with the ability to challenge existing mindsets
- Experience of solving complex issues through analysis, definition of a clear way forward and ensuring buy in
- Ability to present complex information in a succinct and compelling manner
- Ability and willingness to dramatically change work practices and hours, and work with incoming surge teams, in the event of emergencies
- Fluency in English, both verbal and written, required
- Commitment to Save the Children values
Due to the urgency to fill this positions shortlisting will be done as applications stream in.