Save the Children Technical Specialist (Health) Jobs Career in Nairobi Kenya 2013
Dimensions: Save the Children works in four regions of Somalia/Somaliland with a current staff complement of approximately 450 staff and current expenditure of approximately US$60 million in 2012.
Staff directly reporting to this post: None
Key Areas of Accountability:
- Support the HoHNW in development of ambitious yet practical and integrated HNW plan as part of the Country Annual Plans and contribute from perspective of all aspects of child and maternal health.
- Provide high quality technical inputs in to developing cost-effective, innovative and sustainable proposals related to child and maternal health and other priority groups in Somalia/Somaliland
- Plan and ensure adequate budgets are available in proposals for staff, partner, community capacity building in technical areas in line with project objectives
- Work with quality programmes team to provide technical guidance and inputs to the Area/operations teams for them to develop concept notes and proposals related to health as mandated under HNW strategy
- Develop and implement a relevant and sustainable capacity building plan for Area/operations teams, partners and consortium members in areas of health for quality delivery of health related projects and enhanced local capacity for sustainable promotion of Save the Children’s health goals for children in Somalia/Somaliland
- Support Area/operations teams and relevant project/programme managers in relevant technical capacity of parents, communities, schools, teachers, health institutions and government to improve overall quality and access of health services for children, mothers and others in Somalia/Somaliland
- Build technical capacity in the area teams, partners and consortium members to produce top class donor reports of projects related to basic education, by working with quality programmes team
- Support the Area/operations team in identifying and addressing technical gaps in planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting of health projects, in coordination with quality programmes team
- Work with other members in HNW and technical team and quality programmes team to support Area/operations teams in developing local-specific advocacy strategies and messages in the areas of health
- Support Area teams as requested and build their capacity to lead representation and advocacy in technical, government and civil society fora within the Area, related to health
- Support the HoHNW with evidence and information for effective representation in relevant external fora including donor meetings, clusters and civil society forums related to health
- Support HoHNW in identifying key opportunities and events for Save the Children to position itself as the leading organisation for child and maternal health issues in Somalia and Somaliland
- Support the HoHNW in identifying and securing potential technical resource persons and organisations for their support in advancing Save the Children’s advocacy in the sector
- Work closely with quality programmes and operations teams to ensure that all projects related to health have robust monitoring plans, baselines, reviews and evaluations in line with project designs and donor guidelines
- Assist the Area teams in technical assessments of local/implementing partners
- Assist quality programmes team technically to support Area teams and partners to carry out regular monitoring and measure and report on achievement and progress towards project objectives and results.
- Along with quality programmes team, organise periodic technical project review meetings with Area teams (programme/project managers) and consortium partners and internally share progress and action
- Carry out extensive field visits to document observations and experiences and share them with Area, quality and technical teams and influence management action for improvement of technical aspects in projects.
- Work with quality programmes team to carry out relevant studies and document and disseminate good practices in projects related to health both in emergencies and development
- Work closely with quality programme and operations team in a matrix management environment for development and implementation of high quality projects in health both in development as well as emergency situations.
- Provide coaching, mentoring and constructive feedback for learning and development and capacity building of relevant staff managing health programmes/projects in the areas
- Support the development of an organisational culture that reflects our dual mandate values, promotes accountability and high performance, encourages a team culture of learning, creativity and innovation, and frees up our people to deliver outstanding results for children and excellent customer service for our members and donors.
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency
- Degree in maternal/child health/public health or equivalent with training in health programme management
- Recommended a minimum of six years of relevant technical experience including at senior level
- Substantial experience in emergency and development health programme design and implementation including in complex emergency context
- Substantial and proven experience in providing high level technical advisory role in emergency health
- Proven capacity to supervise, train and coach national staff
- Proven skills and experience in undertaking assessments and designing/writing quality technical proposals in the sector
- Proven experience in programme development, project cycle management and monitoring and evaluation related to the sector including writing up high quality project/donor reports
- Proven experience of developing and managing high quality, innovative and cost-effective health projects in fragile and insecure environments, preferably in Somalia context and with International NGOs
- Proven experience and skills in advocacy and building work relationship with local/national governments and influencing institutional, private and/or corporate donors
- Solid experience and excellent skills in capacity building of systems, staff, partners and other actors in health
- Ability to extensively travel for project monitoring and provide on-site technical support to field teams
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching
- Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Strong results orientation, with the ability to challenge existing mindsets
- Experience of solving complex issues through analysis, definition of a clear way forward and ensuring buy in
- Ability to present complex information in a succinct and compelling manner
- Ability and willingness to dramatically change work practices and hours, and work with incoming surge teams, in the event of emergencies
- Willingness to be deployed part or full time in to emergency response as per need and as directed
- Fluency in English, both verbal and written, required
- Commitment to Save the Children values
Due to the urgency to fill this positions shortlisting will be done as applications stream in.