Assistant Operations Manager Job vacancy at World Agroforestry Centre in Nairobi Kenya 2013
The World Agroforestry Centre is an independent research institution which generates science-based knowledge about the complex role trees play in agricultural landscapes and rural livelihoods.
The Centre’s headquarters are located in Nairobi, Kenya, and research is conducted in 23 countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America.
- Work closely with the Head of Operations, the maintenance team and other Units in Corporate Services to ensure high quality maintenance of the Centre’s facilities and optimal delivery of services to a wide range of clients.
- Ensure compliance in conformity with ICRAF policies to service level and contract agreements of outsourced services under his/her domain.
- Develop and implement the annual Centre Plant and Equipment maintenance and development plans together with the associated budgets.
- Manage outsourced service contracts including Service Level Agreements related to: – Janitorial, Landscaping, UPS, Generator, Electric Fence, Garbage, Vermin and Termite control and Fire and Alarms.
- Closely supervise and manage the Centre’s maintenance team and civil works contractors, to ensure that a high quality status of the Centre’s facilities is fully achieved and maintained at all times.
- Work closely with the Head of Operations and the Procurement Unit to procure facility maintenance/enhancement related goods and services which conform to prevailing industry best practices and competitiveness.
- Implement and monitor against the Centre’s annual maintenance plans a contractor performance database with detailed key contract attributes such as scope of services, monthly assessment cycles and outputs.
- Manage the Units electronic helpdesk to effectively and efficiently address Centre client’s maintenance related requests.
- As the Secretary to the Health and Safety Committee, work closely with the Head of Operations, the Security Manager and other units in identifying and addressing OH&S issues.
- Together with the other members of the Occupational Health and Safety committee develop, implement and monitor the OH&S annual work plan for the Centre.
- Produce the monthly facility management and the quarterly OH&S reports’.
- Work closely with the Finance Services Unit to ensure full chargebacks for office and lab space utilization.
- Work closely with the Assets Manager, the Procurement Unit and the Unit’s Administrative Assistant to ensure that an up to date Centre Asset Register is maintained.
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
- A degree in Civil Engineering or its equivalent.
- Five (5) years progressive experience in coordinating construction projects. Experience in facilities management and operational logistics in an international research organization will be an added advantage.
- Excellent inter-personal and communication skills;
- Ability to coordinate, prioritize, and organize workload.
- Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure with minimal supervision.
- Excellent command of both written and spoken English;
- Excellent computer knowledge of Microsoft Office
We offer a collegial, diverse and gender-sensitive working environment, and we strongly encourage applications from qualified women.
How to apply
- A cover letter illustrating your suitability for the position, and your salary expectations.
- A detailed and up-to-date curriculum vitae.
- The names and addresses of three referees, including telephone numbers and email addresses, and fax details, if available.
The Human Resources Unit,
To learn more about us, visit our website: www.worldagroforestry.org