Aga Khan Foundation (AKF) Regional Chief Operating Officer Jobs in Kenya 2013
Regional Chief Operating Officer
Aga Khan Foundation (AKF) focuses on a small number of specific social and economic development problems by forming (intellectual and financial) partnerships with organisations sharing similar objectives.
The majority of AKF’s grants are made to grassroots organisations testing innovative approaches in the field.
With a small staff, a host of cooperating agencies and thousands of volunteers, the Foundation reaches out to vulnerable populations on four continents, irrespective of their race, religion, political persuasion or gender.
In East Africa, AKF supports programming in Kenya, Tanzania, and Uganda that contributes to a better quality of life for hundreds of communities.
Working in education, rural economic development, health, and civil society, AKF leverages its global experiences and partnerships to bring new ideas to East Africa.
AKF (EA) is seeking an experienced Regional Chief Operating Officer (RCOO) to provide strategic leadership in the day-to-day operations of the Foundation. Reporting to the Regional Chief Executive Officer, the RCOO will be based in Nairobi.
The incumbent will work closely with the Regional Chief Executive Officer and Regional Committee to strategise the vision and long term plans for the Foundation.
As a member of the senior management team the RCOO will also provide advisory and support services to the Regional Committee as well as the Director of Finance at the Head Office in Geneva.
- Contribute to strategic leadership in the operational planning of AKF activities in East Africa in collaboration with agencies of the Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN)
- Conduct risk assessments; provide financial management and reporting mechanisms for procurement, leasing and resource allocation
- Oversee financial procedures, reporting and implementation of audits; and ensure high quality grant management of donor funding
- Mentor the Operations Team and encourage professional development
- Oversee IT department with a focus on innovative approaches to increase AKF’s efficiency and effectiveness
- Oversee the property portfolio including implementation of a property strategy, enhancement of rental income in compliance with legal requirements.
Qualifications & Experience
- Masters degree or equivalent in Business Administration, International Business or Finance OR related professional qualification in accounting and finance
- Minimum ten years progressive operations and finance experience preferably with not-for-profit organisation
- Experience within a large matrix organisation and proven ability to navigate and build relationships across the AKF and broader AKDN Network
- Knowledge and experience in property management is desirable
- Expertise in computerised accounting systems; specifically iScala,an advantage
- Knowledge of donor agency grant processes, procedures, and audits, desirable
- Ability to manage and motivate a large team with proven experience in leading finance and administration teams
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Ability to work under pressure with multiple priorities with a positive and constructive attitude
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, CV and the names and contact information of three professional referees by 31st January 2013, to the Regional Human Resource Manager, Aga Khan Foundation (East Africa) by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Due to the high volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Aga Khan Foundation (East Africa) is an agency of the Aga Khan Development Network (www.akdn.org)