Plan International Country Director Jobs In Dar es Salaam Tanzania 2013
Job Title:Country Director, Dar Es Salaam
Closing Date:31 Jan 2013
Working in 50 developing countries across Africa, Asia and the Americas, Plan’s stated Global Strategic Goal (2011-15) is to reach as many children as possible, particularly those who are excluded or marginalised, with high-quality programmes that deliver long-lasting benefits. Plan aims to achieve this goal by working in partnership with others and through high performing teams whose behaviours reflect the corporate values. Plan has a global income of around $800m.
The latest Country Strategic Plan for Tanzania has been approved for the period 2011 – 2015. Currently the country program reaches an estimated 450,000 children in 6 program areas. It has an annual turnover of approximately US $10.7 million, a team of 166 staff, a case load of 31,521 sponsored children and a portfolio of 10 active grants.
Position available June 2013. Dimensions of the Role:
- Legal representation of Plan in Tanzania
- Accountable for the operations and results of Plan in Tanzania, risk management and response
- Proper disbursement of all available project funds
- Income growth to meet impact targets set in the Country Strategic Plan and annual Resource Mobilization Plans
- Technical quality of project delivery
- Team leadership/management
- Reporting quarterly on progress against agreed KPIs Knowledge, Skills and Behaviours required to Achieve Role’s Objectives: Knowledge
- Demonstrable knowledge as a result of study, training or practical experience on the key debates in development, particularly around child rights.
- Practical knowledge of the requirements of donor compliance and financial management
- Practical knowledge of programming for development and emergency response
- Fluency in English and one other of the Plan languages (Spanish, French, Portuguese), oral and written.
- Knowledge of Tanzania, the geopolitical factors affecting child-poverty in the country and the Eastern and Southern African Development Community as well as the political, social and economic opportunities for development are an advantage
- Knowledge of sponsorship and/or grant funded programming an advantage
Leadership Skills and Behaviours demonstrated from experience; Striving for high performance: Strongly drives performance forward in area of the business for which they are responsible; involves others in setting and achieving goals; creates a strong sense of purpose within own part of the business and with stakeholders. Strategic thinking and innovation: Sets strong strategy in own part of organisation; makes an effective contribution to wider strategy; sees contribution of own part of the organisation in wider Plan and external context; balances future vision with practical delivery; critically evaluates work effectiveness and searches for better ways of working. Decision making and risk management: Sound judgement and decision-making in complex situations; alerts others to risks inside and outside the organisation; willing to make judgements about managing risks and ready to take responsibility for such judgements Influencing and Communications: Effective communicator using clear messages drawn from Plan’s work; cross-culturally adept; ready to work to influence leaders in governments, international bodies, partners and communities; can reach out and influence large groups of people; effective communicator with children and young people. Building effective teams and partnerships: Collegiate – acting as a team player in country, region or function, even if this results in adjustment of own priorities; develops mutually trusting relationships with complex partnerships to deliver excellent business outcomes Developing people: Supports learning and a sense of mutual purpose in diverse teams; sets a strong learning culture in their part of the organisation; effective coach, equally at home with high performers and those in difficulty; uses opportunities across Plan to develop others Self awareness and resilience: Remains calm and positive under pressure and in difficult situations; plans own learning and development; aware of impact on others and adjusts own behaviour accordingly; has a positive impact on those around them; leads major change while keeping staff and partners on board *Location:Based in the country office located in Dar es Salaam with extensive and regular local travel as well as some international travel. Ability to travel to remote areas **Type of Role:5 year fixed term contract Reports to:Regional Director Salary:US$60,000 to $72,000. This is an accompanied position and a full expat package will be available.
References will be taken and background and anti-terrorism checks will be carried out in conformity with Plans Child Protection Policy. Plan operates an equal opportunities policy and actively encourages diversity, welcoming applications from all areas of the international community. Please note that only applications and CVs written in English will be accepted.
How to apply:
Please apply through our website http://plan-international.org/about-plan/jobs.