TI-Kenya Deputy Programme Officer (Political Transparency, Legislative and Electoral Reforms) Jobs in Nairobi Kenya 2013
Vacancy: Deputy Programme Officer
Reference: Political Transparency, Legislative and Electoral Reforms
Duty Station: Nairobi
Transparency International-Kenya (TI-Kenya) is part of the Transparency International movement that is non-partisan coalition of individuals with a shared vision of a corrupt free world.
TI-Kenya is an autonomous chapter in the Transparency International movement, a global coalition against corruption with which we share the knowledge and exchange ideas for the greater good of Kenya.
The Governance & Policy programme aims at facilitating good governance in Kenya through strengthening institutions of governance and promoting political transparency.
The political transparency, legislative and electoral reforms sub- programme aims at promoting political accountability in public institutions responsible for regulating political processes as well as programmes that will contribute to the promotion of ethical values in citizens’ engagement in political processes.
Key priorities of the programme are contribution to development of legal framework to enhance transparency and accountability, monitor implementation of the Constitution, electoral reforms to insulate political processes from patronage and corruption networks, political participation and competition that is regulated, accountable and transparent.
In addition TI Kenya is currently the secretariat of the African Parliamentarians Network against Corruption (APNAC) – Kenya Chapter hence the sub programme is tasked with supporting the network’s work around institutional strengthening and development of legislation.
Under the supervision of the Programme Officer (Political Transparency, Legislative drafting and Electoral Reforms), the Deputy Programme Officer will support delivery of targets in the sub-programme towards achievement of the overall programme objectives and TI Kenya’s strategic plan.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Program Officer (Political Transparency, Legislative drafting and Electoral reforms), the Deputy Programme Officer shall;
1. Programme Management.
- Provide support in designing projects under political transparency, legislation and electoral reforms sub-programme including development of work plans/schedules and ensure their successful implementation to achieve overall programme objectives and TI Kenya strategic goals.
- Take up lead roles in specific tasks as assigned by the Programme Officer in the management of governance and policy (Political Transparency, Legislative and Electoral Reform) projects to produce desired results/impact.
- Assist in drafting timely sub-programme reports: monthly, quarterly and annual reports and donor specific reports.
- Work with the procurement officer in the identification and recruitment of qualified service providers including procurement of assets/utilities and consultants for tasks specific to the sub programmes. The Deputy Programme Officer shall also assist in preparation of the terms of reference, expression of interest and contracts in accordance with TI-Kenya policies and procedures and will ensure successful delivery of work by such service providers.
- Provide technical support to ensure that technical documents of the programmes are fully reviewed, discussed and appropriately disseminated. This task includes support to research, data collection and reports.
- Coordinate sub-programme logistical work including organizing meetings, forums, workshops, trainings and production of reports/minutes thereto.
- Assist in building the capacity of staff and relevant stakeholders on their role in the implementation of the Constitution, development of legislation, electoral reforms and political transparency. The task includes development of IEC materials on the subprogrammes.
- Assist in carrying out APNAC Kenya secretariat work and engagement with other relevant parliamentary bodies.
2. Advisory/ Strategy Development
- Assist in defining sub – programmes priorities and objectives and communicate to staffand partners for mutual understanding and ownership.
- Provide leadership in the thinking and support development of TI Kenya national, regional and global strategies and advocacy campaigns development of citizen driven legislations, political participation and competition that is regulated, accountable and transparent.
3. Management of TI Kenya partners/partnerships
- Develop links and share experiences with relevant stakeholders to promote andmainstream transparency to achieve TI – Kenya vision and mission.
- Provide technical support to project partners in development of sound policies and legislations for transparent and accountable social reforms initiatives.
- Work with relevant partner coalitions and networks to develop collaborative programme strategies, resource mobilization, concerted efforts and collective results for desired impact on the fight of corruption in Kenya.
4. Institutional learning
- Assist in creation of structured opportunities of institutional learning including project monitoring and evaluation, highlighting success stories, lessons learnt, documentation and use of good practices.
5. Resource Mobilization
- Work with the Programme Officer in developing appropriate fundraising strategies as well as sustainable alternative revenue sources.
- Map out the resource requirements of specifically assigned projects and generally the governance and policy programme and mobilize resources targeting development partners whose criteria match the need of the programme.
- Assist in the development of exceptional proposals and/or concepts for financial support and sustainability of the programme. This task includes maintaining a well managed proposal tracking matrix
- A graduate degree in Law from a recognized University.
- At least two (2) years of proven experience in;
- Coordination of governance and policy programmes in particular legislative development and electoral reform work.
- Participatory community based approaches and dissemination strategies
- Resource mobilization ( Proposal writing and financial reporting)
- Research and information analysis.
- Good understanding of policy making and legislative drafting in Kenya
- Good knowledge on concepts of sustainable development, gender and development, socio economic rights and global governance
- Understanding the environment in which TI-Kenya operates; its vision, mission and objectives.
- Knowledge of Kenya’s governance institutions, their decision making procedures and process of institution capacity strengthening.
- Willing to undertake regular field and other external visits and ability to interact with different stakeholders from citizenry to bilateral and multilateral donors.
- Good writing and verbal communication skills both in English and Kiswahili.
- Organized, detail oriented, able to prioritize and consistently produce high standard work.
- Strong networking skills, leadership skills and team player.
How to apply
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to submit one document as an attachment (combining the application letter and CV with at least three professional referees) by email on/before close of business on 15th January 2013 to:
Please include the reference: Political transparency, Legislative and Electoral Reforms as the subject of your email applications.
Do not attach your testimonials or certificates.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.