Transparency International Western / Nyanza Deputy Programme Officer (Advocacy and Legal Advisory Centre) Latest Jobs in Kenya 2013
TI-Kenya through the ALACs – carries out the following functions:
- Promote legal advice and assistance to victims or witnesses of corruption through provision of free and confidential advice on corruption cases, advice on formulation, development, presentation and monitoring of corruption-related complaints and partnership with legal aid organisations for referrals and follow up.
- Enhance citizen’s access to legal services through information, education and communication support.
- Undertake advocacy on a broader anti-corruption reform agenda
- Enhance institutional capacity in complaint assessment and processing to enable citizens pursue corruption-related issues.
- Support the work and sustainability of good governance coalitions in the regions.
Under the supervision of the Programme Officer-ALAC Western, the Deputy Programme Officer will provide support in the implementation of ALAC Western activities towards achievement of the overall Citizen Demand Programme objectives and TI Kenya’s strategic plan.
- Take up roles assigned by the Programme Officer to assist in the coordination, management of ALAC Western programmes/projects, administration, logistical tasks, documentation and liaison with other TI Kenya staff.
- Receive & book appointments for clients, Conduct initial interviews and where appropriate provide legal advice, make records of complaint calls, make referrals and follow up of clients cases and the overall management of ALAC Western data base.
- Provide support on TI Kenya website updates by highlighting ALAC Western activities
- Assist the Programme Officer in designing and implementing outreach initiatives on good governance and corruption prevention targeting communities around Western & Nyanza region and its environs;
- Providing the Programme Officer with technical support in planning meetings, workshops and seminars including the preparation of meeting documents, agendas, IEC materials and reports for the Citizen Demand Programme.
- Develop and implement strategies for community mobilization and empowerment to enable community groups to promote transparent and accountable institutions locally and nationally;
- Develop effective local community organization resources and learning materials and effective strategies to be used in advocacy work;
- Provide support to the Programme Officer in defining sub – programmes priorities and objectives advised by the regional dynamics;
- Work with the Programme Officer to raise awareness of ALAC Western/Nyanza project to the public and stakeholders in the region
- Build sustainable partnerships with community groups, county authorities and other development actors in order to ensure that transparency and accountability issues are mainstreamed into local and national social-economic and development programmes.
- Assist with the development of a participatory results and impact tracking system for ALAC Western initiative.
- Assist in the documentation of information based on the Citizen Demand Programme and ALAC Western/Nyanza.
- Provide technical support to the Programme Officer in researching for and developing exceptional proposals and/or concepts for financial support and sustainability of the sub–programme.
- Degree in social science from a recognized University
- At least 2 years relevant work experience with an emphasis on legal aid set up and community engagement
- Experience in project management will be an added advantage
- Proven experience in community mobilization and demonstrate interest in anticorruption sector.
- Familiarity with advocacy and communications strategies and tools
- Result oriented, team player and self motivated
- Ability to multi-task, with tight deadlines/schedules and attention to detail.
- Excellent Writing, Research, Communication and interpersonal and skills