Chauffeur Job Vacancy at US Embassy in Dar es Salaam Tanzania 2013
Closing Date of The Position: January 31, 2013
ALL ORDINARILY RESIDENT (OR) APPLICANTS MUST HAVE THE REQUIRED WORK AND/OR RESIDENCY PERMITS TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR CONSIDERATION.
The US Embassy is seeking two individuals for the position of Chauffeur in the General Service Office.
BASIC FUNCTION OF POSITION
Serves as a Chauffeur in the US Embassy motor pool with responsibility for seeing to the safety and comfort of passengers in transit, proper loading and unloading of vehicles and security of cargo when assigned to drive truck. As required, act as a messenger in delivering invitations and other various documents.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Operates all terrain and passenger vehicles and flat-bed trucks. Performs routine duties and may act as a messenger in delivering documents or invitations to other embassies, government bodies or associated U.S. Agencies and may be assigned up-country trips. Must communicate in English on the radio anytime he is in the vehicle.
2. Responsible for safety operation and maintenance of Embassy vehicles assigned. Schedule and deliver vehicles to the garage for time-ups. Responsible for proper loading and unloading of vehicles, security of cargo and safety of passengers on transit. Also assist visitors and TDYers at the airport when necessary.
3. Makes daily appropriate entries on trip tickets and record in the systems through WEB PASS. Immediate preparation of accidents report and advises Motor pool supervisor of any vehicles defects.
All applicants must address each selection criterion detailed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item.
1. Education: Completion of Primary School (Standard VII) is required.
2. Prior Experience: Must have three years driving experience from private corporations or government agencies.
3. Language proficiency: Level III (good working knowledge) in English and level IV (fluent) in Kiswahili (speaking, writing and reading) is required.
4. Knowledge: Must be familiar with local traffic laws and area traffic patterns. Should have thorough knowledge of roads and streets in Dar es Salaam. Must be familiar with simple auto mechanics.
5. Skills and Abilities: Must be able to learn the proper operation of the Vehicle radios. Must have class C local driver’s license appropriate to drive all types of vehicles and motorcycles.
When fully qualified, US Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFMs) and US Veterans are given preference. Therefore, it is essential that the candidate specifically address the required qualifications above in the application.
ADDITIONAL SELECTION CRITERIA
1. Management will consider nepotism/conflict of interest, budget, and residency status in determining successful candidacy.
Interested candidates for this position must submit the following for consideration of the application:
Universal Application for Employment as a Locally Employed Staff or Family Member (DS-174). A hard copy of the application form (DS-174) is also available at the American Embassy, gate 3; or
A combination of both; i.e. Sections 1 -24 of the UAE along with a listing of the applicant’s work experience attached as a separate sheet; or
A current resume or curriculum vitae that provides the same information found on the UAE (see section 3A below for more information); plus
Candidates who claim US Veterans preference must provide a copy of their Form DD-214 with their application. Candidates who claim conditional US Veterans preference must submit documentation confirming eligibility for a conditional preference in hiring with their application.
Any other documentation (e.g., essays, certificates, awards) that addresses the qualification requirements of the position as listed above.
3A. If an applicant is submitting a resume or curriculum vitae, s/he must provide the following information equal to what is found on the UAE.
Failure to do so will result in an incomplete application.
A. Position Title
B. Position Grade
C. Vacancy Announcement Number (if known)
D. Dates Available for Work
E. First, Middle, & Last Names as well as any other names used
F. Date and Place of Birth
G. Current Address, Day, Evening, and Cell phone numbers
H. U.S. Citizenship Status (Yes or No) & status of permanent U.S. Resident (Yes or No; if yes, provide number)
I. U.S. Social Security Number and/or Identification Number
J. Eligibility to work in the country (Yes or No)
K. Special Accommodations the Mission needs to provide
L. If applying for position that includes driving a U.S. Government vehicle, Driver’s License Class / Type
M. Days available to work
N. List any relatives or members of your household that work for the U.S. Government (include their Name, Relationship, & Agency, Position, Location)
O. U.S. Eligible Family Member and Veterans Hiring Preference
Q. License, Skills, Training, Membership, & Recognition
R. Language Skills
S. Work Experience
How to apply;
SUBMIT APPLICATION TO
Human Resources Office
P.O. Box 9123
Dar es Salaam
POINT OF CONTACT
Telephone: 229 4000, Ext: 4137/4148/4233/4024
CLOSING DATE OF THE POSITION: January 31, 2013
An Equal Opportunity Employer.
The US Mission in Tanzania provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation. The Department of State also strives to achieve equal employment opportunity in all personnel operations through continuing diversity enhancement programs.
The EEO complaint procedure is not available to individuals who believe they have been denied equal opportunity based upon marital status or political affiliation. Individuals with such complaints should avail themselves of the appropriate grievance procedures, remedies for prohibited personnel practices, and/or courts for relief.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted